Top PMP and CAPM Exam Prep Tools
Lessons learnt- PMP cleared [1st attempt] on 31st Oct,2012 with 4P & 1MP.
I cleared my PMP today with 4P and 1 MP (in Initiation) with 4 week prep and would like to thank DeepFriedBrainProject for all the posts on PMP concepts that really helped me. Also Sumit K was a big inspiration.
I wanted to share a few points that might help others..
I had completed my 35 PDU's from a Celtem in bangalore last Oct and then took PMI membership last oct. After a long break I decided to finish it before my PMI membership expired this year and so applied for the exam that got approved on 3rd Oct, 2012. I booked today's date and started my 4 week preparation.
1. studied Rita's book 7th edition [first read] seriously solving each exercise & tests for 10 days. [ I was on 2 week leave]
2. Started solving 18 Mock Tests from PMI's Book - PMP Exam Prep Questions, Answers, & Explanations: 1000+ PMP Practice Questions with Detailed Solutions. For each failed scenario, I referred the soft copy of PMBOK studying it.
[ Usually 1 hr during lunch break at office]
3. I also started reading 2 chapters of Rita again per day after office.
4. I started taking online tests - 175 + 75 Lehman, Brainbok sample test, Head first sample test , Simplilearn. For failed scenarios I cross checked and studied PMBOK again. I liked using soft copy for the quick search. In each I scored 70-79%
5. I solved the questions in Q & A's for the Pmbok Guide by Ph.D. Frank T. Anbari
6. Read all PMP related posts on DeepFriedBrainProject - http://www.deepfriedbrainproject.com/2008/12/pmp-certification-exam-prep-study-notes.html
7. I took PmStudy 4 hr paper on Dussehra. and scored 78% .. I was very nervous after the results as it said that a score of 85% and above guaranteed Pass. But 70-80 meant more practice was needed.
I did a quick glance through PMBOK 3 days before my exam and then just concentrated on reviewing all the questions I had got wrong in tests solved so far. I noticed that I had mis read many questions and so got them wrong. so my strtegy was to go slow in real test.
8. Finally today I just read through glossary one last time and went to the test. I did not find the test tough, but found that I was taking too much time.. The last 50 questions I have solved within 50 secs.. and completed with 7 minutes to spare. I had marked about 30 questions.. and 3 questions I had specially noted on paper which i had max doubt. So i could just check those and not the marked ones. I was really happy to see 4 Ps
Tips for exam
1. Read Risk mgmt & cost mgmt thoroughly. Lot of questions were on this.
2. Pay lot of attention to alternate teams.. PV was never called planned value.
3. Very few questions were lengthy. But I had to reread almost all questions twice .. maybe because it was the afternoon slot.
4. I never had to memorize the ITTO.. and could sail through. A little logic goes a long way.
Best of Luck!
and a big thank you once again.